LITHERLAND AT WAR
1914—1918




 S
EAFORTH BARRACKS RECRUITING OFFICE 

Seaforth Barracks was the main recruiting centre for men resident in the north-end suburbs of Liverpool — Bootle, Litherland, Seaforth and Waterloo - with many thousands of locally born and non-local men enlisting at the barracks in Claremont Road.
   The official Army casualty figures for 'officers' and 'other ranks' published by HMSO in 1921 by authority of the War Office show there to have been 1330 deaths in the conflict of men that enlisted at Seaforth Barracks.
   For the above districts of men resident in the area that enlisted at the barracks and lost their lives - it gives the following figures: Bootle 618, Litherland 120, Seaforth 94 and Waterloo 81. The figures for men enlisted at Bootle Town Hall 103 and enlisted in Litherland 3.
   The above casualty figures do not include officers or men born in the above districts that were resident in other areas of the UK or served in the Commonwealth forces, Royal Navy, Royal Flying Corps/Royal Air Force and Mercantile Marine.

 THE RECRUITING OFFICE

The recruiting office was manned by both military and civilian personnel. The photographs below were taken in 1917, and come from the family collection of Kathleen Travis of Sandringham Road, Waterloo. Kathleen was the daughter of Joseph and Sarah Travis. Joseph Travis was a coal merchant - his coal-depot being at Blundellsands Railway Station.
 CIVILIAN STAFF 
 

Above:- Kathleen Travis 2nd from right aged 21
Three pretty young ladies
Above:— Kathleen Travis - Violet Fletcher - Agnes Woodthorpe

Above:— ??? - Agnes Woodthorpe - Kathleen Travis - ???
 
  BARRACK PERSONNEL  
Unknown Corporal - King's Liverpool Rgt (TA)
Pte Marmaduke, King's Liverpool Rgt - Barrack Orderly

 SEAFORTH BARRACKS 

 
Seaforth Barracks opened in 1882 and closed 1958, originally being constructed as a cavalry barracks with accomodation for officers; married men, barrack blocks for 128 other ranks and stabling for 80 horses.

The barracks also became a Royal Artillery Depot with the Royal Garrison Artillery and Royal Field Artillery of the regular army being based there, and also the headquarters of the Lancashire Artillery Militia; the militia being equivalent to the present day artillery wing of the Territorial Army.

Artillery men from the barracks manned Seaforth Battery sited at the present day Gladstone Dock. It formed part of the Mersey defences – No.1 Sub-Depot; Seaforth Barracks, Southern Division. The barracks later became a depot for the King’s Liverpool Regiment sometime after 1911, becoming the depot for the 3rd and 4th Reserve Battalions of the King's Liverpool Regiment.


Over the years, many famous cavalry regiments served at Seaforth Barracks in squadron strength or smaller - three squadrons formed a cavalry regiment.

Three of the many regiments listed below are not necessarily in the order they were at Seaforth, but in order of precedence of the Household Cavalry Regiments and the 28 Line Regiments of cavalry.

Cavalry Regiments
1st King’s Dragoon Guards
Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons)
9th Queens Own Royal Lancers
12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s) served at Seaforth early 1890s

The Royal Artillery staffs of the 1890s
Royal Garrison Artillery
Lieutenant Colonel H. W. Rooke
Major F. A. Aylmer
Captain M. J. C. Dennis
Lieutenant W. H. Hunt
Lieutenant A. Benwell

Lancashire Artillery Militia, Southern Division, Royal Artillery
Colonel Commandant, Colonel S. Arnold
Instructor of Artillery, Major R. C. Drury
Adjutant, Captain, G. D. Chamier

Barrack's Quarter Master, Lieutenant, J, Fox

1911
Royal Field Artillery
No.3 Depot
 
NOTE:
The War Office architectural drawings for Seaforth Barracks are held at the National Archives, Kew.
 

Litherland & Ford Digital © Ronnie Cusworth 2002-2012