Reported in THE TIMES 29th July, 1878

James Carney, 24, Michael Carney, 25, Charles Flinn, 29, Patrick Murphy, 25.—
Were indicted for the manslaughter of Robert Bradshaw, at Litherland, on the 7th June Inst.
Mr M'Connell and Mr Walton appeared for the prosecution.
Mr Segar defended James Carney.
Mr Commins appeared for Michael Carney.
Mr Cottingham for Flinn and Murphy.
The facts of the case were these:—On Sunday, the 2nd of June, about 10 p.m., Robert Bradshaw and his brother William were going homeward from the Litherland Hotel near Bootle, when they met a friend, and the three stood together. Some Irishmen then ran across the road shouting “ Philburn, Philburn,” to which Robert Bradshaw replied, “ You are mistaken,” and immediately afterwards he and his brother were both knocked down and Robert Bradshaw was kicked. The Irishmen then went down School- lane to a stone-yard, and were heard to break some wooden railings. Bradshaw, who had lost his hat, followed with George Lovelady and some others, and one of the Irishmen was heard to call out, “ Come on, Come on.” The Irishmen then began to throw stones at Bradshaw and his friends, who were Englishmen, and the Irish then retired towards Orrell-bridge. The English followed, and James Carney was then seen holding a rail seven or eight feet long in both hands over his head and striking Robert Bradshaw with it. James Carney at the same time, was heard to say, “ I will have your heart's blood, before I sleep to-night.” Robert Bradshaw fell and then Carney struck him again, Bradshaw at this time having no hat on. Charles Flinn then struck George Lovelady with a rail. Murphy was seen with a rail in his hand and also throwing a stone. Lovelady and Bradshaw were then helped away from the scene of the fight.

In cross-examination it was elicited that Bradshaw had said, “ Come on : I'll have satisfaction now, there is plenty of us,”

Bradshaw was found to be seriously injured about the head, and died on the 7th of June from a fracture of the skull.

Witnesses were called for Michael Carney to prove an alibi.

The jury, after a short retirement, returned to court with a verdict of Guilty against all the prisoners.

The learned JUDGE, in passing sentence, said that the evidence showed that James Carney was the ringleader and responsible for the death of the deceased, as it was he who struck the fatal blow. The prisoners would seem to have engaged in the disturbance from a spirit of national animosity, which induced them to have recourse to disgraceful violence. Such outrages must be put down by the strong hand of the law, and if persons engaged in such fighting, and sad results followed, they must be taught that such conduct could not be allowed.

James Carney was sentenced to six years' penal servitude.
Michael Carney to five years' penal servitude.
Charles Flinn and Patrick Murphy to 12 months' imprisonment each, with hard labour.


Click on image to show enlarged map of the area associated with the trial

Litherland & Ford Digital © Ronnie Cusworth 2002-2006